Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Free Speech? Not in the USA


Ahh free speech. Guaranteed by the first amendment of the US constitution.

Wikipedia says freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment. The right is enshrined in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and is granted formal recognition by the laws of most nations.

That would be nice; especially since there are quite a few things (and people) that really tick me off and I'd love to blog about them. The problem is that I work in corporate America; for a bunch of lawyers actually. So of course I know that my company would more then likely fire me in a heartbeat if I started commenting about them in a negative way. Don't believe me? Here's a nice article about companies firing their employees for exercising their free speech

Of course I'm not going to say anything about my place of work, not the name of the business, not how much (if at all) certain aspects of my day job make me angry or how certain people are assholes. Nope, not a word.

Now, theremaybe be good aspects about my job too; but you're not going to hear those either because only being able to comment on the positive and not the negative is called censorship, not free speech.

See, corporate America is a bit different from the rest of America. Corporate America will kick you out for a whole host of reasons including; and not limited to; because they feel like it (it's called at-will employment folks)

But today's writing is not about any of the other multitude of reasons that companies will fire, sue, or otherwise make life difficult for their employees... it's about free speech, or lack thereof. I'd like to write more, but I can't because just in the same way Stalin and Hitler terminated countless people that spoke against them, if I proceed further with this article I may join the countless jobless blogers who's companies have terminated them.

Stomping all over my guaranteed freedom of speech? Couldn't be less Tomland approved!

No comments: