Friday, March 2, 2007

Racist math problem? Maybe YOU are the racist



Hello folks,

I came across a article today that really made me angry. Apparently there's been a big hubub regarding a math teacher in Seattle. You can find the original article here and the updated article here

For those of you who don't like to read, here's what the topic is about. Apparently a math teacher put the following question on a test:
"Condoleezza holds a watermelon just over the edge of the roof of the 300-foot
Federal Building, and tosses it up with a velocity of 20 feet per second."
The question went on to ask when the watermelon will hit the ground,
based on a formula provided.

Enough people got angry about the question that the teacher was suspended for a week. However the most recent article says the administration lifted the suspension.

So am I angry that the teacher's suspension was lifted? If you think that you don't know TomLand very well. Better read more posts.

----------------------------

According to one of the many offended people
"The question propagates a racial stereotype and denigrates Secretary of State Rice"

To that I say bullshit! First of all, I don't see Condoleezza Rice weighing in on the matter. Perhaps if Condi feels slighted then she should speak up. I'm willing to listen to people that speak up for themselves. I'm a lot less willing to listed to folks that think they speak for others. The person quoted in the article doesn't know the Secretary of State and as such shouldn't presume to speak for her.

But let's move on to the 2nd part of the topic... the propagation of a racial stereotype. To be honest besides a stereotype that black people like watermelon I'm not exactly sure what the specific derogatory thought is. I did a search online and (in very vague terms) this watermelon stereotype also seems to associate with laziness and uncleanliness. Seems like the top 10 hits on the Internet can't explain it either.

I'm a very well read individual, I have a great grasp of the English language and an excellent vocabulary. I also can surf the Internet with the best of them. Despite all that, off the top of my head I couldn't tell you why this "stereotype" is demeaning.

For those people who think I'm wrong and this type of question is just plain wrong I say this:

I don't see a problem with certain ethic groups being associated with certain foods, I take the context at face value. If you're reading into it, you're the one that propagating racial stereotypes, as such you're the racist.

Trying to get folks fired because you're the one with a chip on your shoulder; definitely NOT TomLand approved.

No comments: