Friday, March 9, 2007

When "The Man" sticks it to you, stick him right back



Hello folks,

As you know, The Man has been out to get all of us since they day we were born. I t turns out there's not just one man, but whoever is twisting that dagger of unfairness into your gut at the time gets elevated to "The Man".... (Of course you know the scuffle with The Man has a happy ending thanks to my "Tomland Approved" guy to the left of this article)

So a few months ago I bought a Nokia E70 for my wife. She specifically wanted this model of phone but it wasn't carried by Cingular. So I got an unlocked phone straight from Nokia. Considering I paid almost $400 for the thing I expected it to work properly. Of course that means I had nothing but problems getting it to work.

The worst part was that I could not get any support for the phone. Cingular told me they didn't know how to configure it (despite having an almost identical model availble for sale) and Nokia said that they didn't have the configuration settings on hand and only Cingular could provide them. At the end of the day I had to sign up for a new plan and get different equipment which came with a substantial discount.

It was a classic blame someone else defense. Of course Nokia was happy to take my $400 for the phone and Cingular was more than happy to continue charging me for my plan.

So I put the thing up on ebay and sold it for $450, netting a profit in the end. Sure it was a learning experience, but the best part was walking away from an ugly situation a few dollars richer.

Taking the dagger The Man is sticking in you and shoving it in his bloated, corporate gut... Tomland Approved!

No comments: